Auteur Topic: Turkey and Iran - Travelogue  (gelezen 26650 keer)

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
Turkey and Iran - Travelogue
« Gepost op: 26 november 2010, 09:18:25 »
Hier mogen we binnenkort een aantal foto's van Arthur Nicholls verwachten !

Arthur Nicholls will be posting his pictures in this topic !!  ;)

Kris De Raeymaeker

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
  • Geslacht: Man
  • erevoorzitter VRV met rotsvast geloof in bergflora
Re:Turkey and Iran - Travelogue
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 26 november 2010, 17:50:05 »
We are looking forward to it ! We kijken er naar uit !
"zelfs de waarheid is zeer vaak maar perceptie "
"de kleinste planten maakten reeds de grootste vrienden "

Frankie Wulleman

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
  • Alpinelover
« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 1 december 2010, 21:02:17 »
We are still looking forward to it! We kijken er nog steeds naar uit!  ;)
Lichtervelde, West-Vlaanderen

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #3 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 12:43:12 »
Sorry to keep you waiting - the heavy snowfalls have not helped.

It was a pleasure meeting everybody in Gent and I hoped you enjoyed the talk.

Since my return I realised there were plants that I had intended to include in my talks, especially on Iran, and these will be shown first.

A little background to my trips to Iran:-

I first went in 2004 with Bob & Ranveig Wallis.  As you probably know the Wallises are very interested in Fritillaria and our trip was timed to see the maximum number of Fritillarias in NW Iran.  It was a very successful trip.  Although the newspapers give a very bad impression of Iran, we felt very safe and the people were very friendly, especially the Kurdish people - we were invited to a picnic at which they gave us excellent food and danced and sang for us.

In 2005 we went earlier in the hope of seeing some more Fritillaria in flower - particularly Frillaria gibbosa (Seen in seed in 2004), and also Galanthus transcaucasicus.  We were again successful.  We also visited Esfehan - nobody visiting Iran should miss this fascinating city.

Although friends returned to Iran every year, my next trip was not until 2008.  This was to visit the eastern part of Iran - Mashad - and further exploration of the NW.  It was unfortunately a year of drought and the volume and vasriety of plants seen was much reduced.  In spite of this we found new plants and had a most enjoyable trip.

My final trip to Iran was this year in April.  A strange trip in many ways as the weather was very cold and there were areas where there was no sign of bulbs, where previously they had been abundant.
« Laatst bewerkt op: 7 december 2010, 09:16:54 door Arthur Nicholls »

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #4 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 13:08:32 »
Since my talk was on memories from several trips, I have decided to group the different genus together.  If it was a single trip I would make it a travelogue like my trip to Iran in 2008 posted on the SRGC Forum.

Starting with Fritillaria, the reason for my first trip.

Fritillaria gibbosa - these were in the Talysh mountains.  The multi-flowered plant was isolated from the others and we had to climb a steep sand hill in a strong wind to photograph it.

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #5 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 13:51:10 »
Fritillaria crassifolia - these were just outside Zanjan, the first two in glorious sunshine and the last two this year just after a thunderstorm.
« Laatst bewerkt op: 5 december 2010, 13:53:39 door Arthur Nicholls »

Frankie Wulleman

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
  • Alpinelover
« Reactie #6 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 14:36:23 »
Welcome on this forum, Arthur.
A good start with great photos. The F. gibbosa is my favorite. A beautiful species is that.

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #7 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 14:40:20 »
Frankie

You may change your mind when you see Fritillaria poluninii.

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #8 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 14:44:24 »
Fritillaria gibbosa

More photos for Frankie

The colour can vary quite a lot.  The following photos were taken by my friend Dan on a trip he made in 2009.  These were photographed somewhere south of Teheran.

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #9 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 14:59:23 »
In 2004 we made a day trip out from Sanandaj to Marivan and the Iraqi border.  Our guide said that it would not be safe to stay in Marivan, and he was really quite unhappy about being in Kurdistan at all.

In the event there was not a problem - other than the trip being very long and not allowing time to see all the plants.  This was remedied the following year when we returned to Marivan and stayed for several days.

The most Fritillaria we saw were growing close to the border with Iran, and 2004 was the best time to see them.  In following years, and especially 2008 and 2010 many Fritillaria were absent.  However, in 2008 we saw Fritillaria poluninii for the first - and only -time.

Fritillaria poluninii - I am indebted to my friend Pietro Roseo for his photos.  The first shows Bob Charman and Janis Ruksans at the border.
« Laatst bewerkt op: 7 december 2010, 09:20:19 door Arthur Nicholls »

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #10 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 15:20:19 »
Also at the border were Fritillaria strausii and something called Fritillaria crassifolia aff. by Bob Wallis

Luc Gilgemyn

• Algemene moderator
  • Superposter
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reactie #11 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 15:25:23 »
Welcome Arthur !!!
So happy you made it through the snow... ;D

You're treating us to some exquisite rarities here ... and the views.... simply breathtaking !

Don't let me keep you from posting more...  :P

Harelbeke-West-Vlaanderen

Frankie Wulleman

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
  • Alpinelover
« Reactie #12 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 16:30:38 »
I agree with Luc. The views are fabulous.  :o

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #13 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 16:39:59 »
I mentioned that the people are very friendly.  Every Friday, their Holy day, people will vacate the towns to picnic in the countryside.

Here are photos taken at the Iraqi border.  Dan was being offered stuffed vine leaves - being polite he only took one, but he could have eaten many more!

I am indebted to Janis Ruksans for some of the people shots.
« Laatst bewerkt op: 7 december 2010, 09:21:30 door Arthur Nicholls »

Arthur Nicholls

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #14 Gepost op: 5 december 2010, 16:54:52 »
I mentioned earlier that we were invited to a picnic by some Kurds.  The son aged 14 had excellent English and was a supporter of Manchester United.  We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon and since it was a Friday, and we had not been able to buy bread, we were very grateful to share their excellent picnic.

After they had sung and danced they asked us if we knew a traditional English dance.  I thought that the 'Hokey Cokey' was a tradional dance from the 18th century and everyone joined in - I learnt after checking on Google that the participation dance originated in 1940 in London.