Auteur Topic: Colourful South African Oxalis species for the glasshouse or kas.  (gelezen 4139 keer)

Bill Dijk

• Nieuweling
  • Geslacht: Man
  • Traveling off the beaten track
Colourful South African Oxalis species for the glasshouse or kas.
« Gepost op: 4 februari 2013, 13:24:16 »
Hi Folks,
Recently I have taking some time off for a spot of traveling, the busy schedules and forums and reflecting on life in general from the last 77 years and spending more time with the family.
Anyway saw your very interesting postings on VRV, regarding the discussion of the Oxalis species and hybrids.
At the moment I have quite a few of the dormant South African species available, mainly for the glasshouse or kas of course.
If anyone is interested please let me know, perhaps we could do a larger order to one address to save on postage.
Please to be back on deck again, once bitten, always an addict, no rest for the wicked.
Enjoy
Bill Dijk   New Zealand
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Bill Dijk

• Nieuweling
Re:Colourful South African Oxalis species for the glasshouse or kas.
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 4 februari 2013, 13:36:38 »
Just a few more pictures of Oxalis species,
Bill
Climate zone 10

Bill Dijk

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 4 februari 2013, 13:40:02 »
The last four pictures.
Bill
Climate zone 10

Kris De Raeymaeker

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
  • erevoorzitter VRV met rotsvast geloof in bergflora
« Reactie #3 Gepost op: 4 februari 2013, 22:17:09 »
Hi Bill , very colourful ! I like them all but only grow the Southamerican species ...
Must admit that I like the leaves of that palmifrons !
Good that you not forgot the VRV ! I suppose that some people here have interest .... 
"zelfs de waarheid is zeer vaak maar perceptie "
"de kleinste planten maakten reeds de grootste vrienden "

Gerrit Eijkelenboom

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
« Reactie #4 Gepost op: 10 februari 2013, 16:41:54 »
Hello Bill,

This is a good offer. Those South-African species are hard to become. I would like to try some and if there are other members of this forum they let me know an maybe we share an order.

But first of all, I like to know something about cultivation. As you wrote: plants for a green house. But what should be the minimum-temperature in winter? An important question, because we don't live at the Bay of Plenty.

Dit is een mooi aanbod. Deze Zuidafrikaanse soorten zijn moeilijk te verkrijgen. Ik zou er wel wat willen proberen en als er andere forumleden zijn, laat me het horen middels een PB en kunnen we misschien een gemeenschappelijke bestelling doen.
Maar eerst wil ik graag iets weten over de winterhardheid. Je schrijft dat het planten zijn voor een kas. Maar wat zijn de minimumtemeraturen in de winter?
« Laatst bewerkt op: 10 februari 2013, 16:46:16 door Gerrit Eijkelenboom »

Bill Dijk

• Nieuweling
« Reactie #5 Gepost op: 11 februari 2013, 04:15:55 »
Hello Bill,

This is a good offer. Those South-African species are hard to become. I would like to try some and if there are other members of this forum they let me know an maybe we share an order.

But first of all, I like to know something about cultivation. As you wrote: plants for a green house. But what should be the minimum-temperature in winter? An important question, because we don't live at the Bay of Plenty.

Dit is een mooi aanbod. Deze Zuidafrikaanse soorten zijn moeilijk te verkrijgen. Ik zou er wel wat willen proberen en als er andere forumleden zijn, laat me het horen middels een PB en kunnen we misschien een gemeenschappelijke bestelling doen.
Maar eerst wil ik graag iets weten over de winterhardheid. Je schrijft dat het planten zijn voor een kas. Maar wat zijn de minimumtemeraturen in de winter?

That is a very good question Gerrit: on occasions our temperatures during the winter can go as low as 0 C, but never below that, and the Oxalis plants don't mind that temperature, provided they get some protection from heavy frost below 0 C. in the glasshouse or kas.
It's also important that while dormant, they should be kept dry, as they do in nature, only start watering when the new growth appear.
Some people can kill them with kindness, when they keep them too cold and wet when dormant, and should be stored on the dry side.
Yes the South African species are beautiful, but with some basic requirements mentioned before, can be grown successfully.
Hope this short summary has been helpful.
Bill

« Laatst bewerkt op: 11 februari 2013, 04:21:47 door Bill Dijk »
Climate zone 10

Gerrit Eijkelenboom

• Rotsplantfanaat
  • Superposter
« Reactie #6 Gepost op: 11 februari 2013, 10:47:21 »
Thank you Bill for your explanation. So, zero degrees will be sufficient.

Voor de forumleden die interesse hebben: We hebben dus nodig een (onverwarmde)kas, of een overdekte ruimte, of een afdak, of een vensterbank (zoals Jan F). Wie een te verwarmen kas heeft is natuurlijk klaar. Daarna kun je 2 dingen doen: Bij vorst de plantjes binnenzetten (te veel werk) of een vorstvrije ruimte maken in de kas. Dat laatste heb ik gedaan voor mijn mediterrane Cyclamen. Ik wilde niet meer tientallen plantjes boven op een overwarmde slaapkamer. Te veel gesleep, gemopper van mijn vrouw enz.
Dat 0-graden gedeelte heeft tot nu toe uitstekend gewerkt.

Dus wie met mij met Bill wil onderhandelen  --6 over de prijs van deze plantjes, stuur me een e-mail, dan ga ik dat doen buiten het forum om, want handelen hier is not-done.